The mission of the Urban Land Institute is to provide leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide.
ULI is committed to:
- Bringing together leaders from across the fields of real estate and land use policy to exchange best practices and serve community needs;
- Fostering collaboration within and beyond ULI’s membership through mentoring, dialogue, and problem solving;
- Exploring issues of urbanization, conservation, regeneration, land use, capital formation, and sustainable development;
- Advancing land use policies and design practices that respect the uniqueness of both the built and natural environments;
- Sharing knowledge through education, applied research, publishing, and electronic media; and
- Sustaining a diverse global network of local practice and advisory efforts that address current and future challenges.
Established in 1936, the Institute today has nearly 30,000 members worldwide, representing the entire spectrum of the land use and development disciplines. ULI relies heavily on the experience of its members. It is through member involvement and information resources that ULI has been able to set standards of excellence in development practice. The Institute has long been recognized as one of the world’s most respected and widely quoted sources of objective information on urban planning, growth, and development.
Advising communities in need
Deliver the experience and expertise of ULI members to communities facing critical land use challenges
Shaping cities and regions
Foster the planning and development of vibrant, competitive metropolitan areas through sharing global best practices and promoting effective relationships among business, government, and community stakeholders
Developing excellence through education
Create learning experiences that develop professional expertise and personal leadership skills in support of the individual, the community, and the real estate industry
Driving innovation in real estate and urban development
Analyze the evolution of real estate market demand, changing technology, policy trends, and investment patterns to help identify opportunities, develop creative responses, and manage risk
Clarify the connections between responsible use of resources, the built environment, and long-term environmental health, and demonstrate a compelling business case for resource efficiency
Connecting capital and the built environment
Ensure the attractiveness of real estate to global allocators of capital by understanding and explaining the dynamics affecting real estate value
Creating Resilient Communities
- What are the best new models in the real estate and land use industry, and how can we support their development?
- How can we best adapt and reuse existing real estate while eliminating obsolete space in order to create thriving communities?
- How can we influence land use leaders locally and around the world as they reshape the process of community building and developing both social and physical infrastructure?
Understanding Demand and Market Forces
- How can we best understand demand (quantity, type, price, and location of the need) for real estate and discover what the market wants short-term versus what it needs long-term?
- How can we help balance local, regional, national, and global interests as well as public and private interests, in terms of how they affect land use decisions and development?
- How will changing technology influence building and buildings, and how will people’s use of technology influence how they interact with the physical environment?
Connecting Capital and the Built Environment through Value
- How can we best generate value in the built environment that is greater than its cost?
- What are the best ways to ensure the attractiveness of real estate as an investment as institutional capital allocators continue to change and become more global?
- What is the most effective way to demonstrate and explain the relationship between investment in both public projects (including infrastructure) and amenities and the impact on real estate value?
Promoting Intelligent Densification and Urbanization
- What are the most responsible ways to provide cost-effective housing for a rapidly increasing global population that is becoming increasingly urbanized?
- How can we advance the understanding of the relationship between a high quality of life and the built environment in order to promote the creation of high-quality, appropriately priced density that is attractive to users?
- What is the relationship between a thriving economy and a thriving city—between a dynamic society and the built environment?
Integrating Energy, Resources, and Uses Sustainably
- How can we best reduce the negative impact of the built environment on our natural resources and climate?
- What are the best ways to use the world’s energy resources and protect the built environment from volatile and unpredictable conditions?
- How will trends in energy and resources affect the future best use of land?