ULI invites the participation of teams from accredited educational institutions in the United States and Canada. Teams must be made up of graduate students pursuing a graduate degree while fully enrolled for the entire duration of the academic period during which the competition is conducted. For further details about team composition requirements, visit the How to Form a Team section.
The Hines Competition accepts applications via an online system. Specific instructions for applying to participate in the 2014 competition will be available in September 2013. The application form will require the following information:
- Name and contact information for all five team members
- Degree program information for all five team members
- One-page résumé for all five team members
- Name and contact information for faculty adviser
- Signature of department head of sponsoring school (uploaded document)
- Verification forms for each team member who is a part-time student or a fifth-year B.Arch or BLA student (uploaded document).
Members of the jury; the competition advisers; all officials, current employees, and recent former employees of the Urban Land Institute (ULI); the employees, students, and immediate family members of any of the aforementioned parties; and those whom ULI deems to present conflicts of interest are ineligible to compete. All students from the finalist teams in the 2012 and 2013 competitions are also ineligible.
ULI reserves the right to disqualify teams or to limit the number allowed to participate in the competition. Teams will be notified by e-mail to the student team leader as to their participation status after the application deadline has passed.
ULI reserves the right to limit the number of participating teams, and the advancing teams can be chosen based on geographic diversity, team statements, team makeup, university diversity, or any of the criteria listed above.